BVC-CHAT How Big is Big?

Baker, Kevin kbaker at cora.tamu.edu
Fri Aug 16 15:55:29 CDT 2002

Too big is when you can no longer boot the tire without it bulging.
Remember though, that hole isn't getting any smaller, so if the tire is
already well worn you may be skating on thin ice.  A cut in a new tire may
take a long time to get bigger.  I use tire liners, I rode a new tire that
had a large cut for several months.

There's no real difference between using a boot of some kind or using a
liner, unless the boot is so thick that it throws off the balance or
mis-shapes the tire.   Both will fail quickly when they start to bulge.  I
am an advocate of liners (at least for the rear) they don't add too much
weight and give significant protection against glass.  There is a new style
that is much thinner then the old Tuffy's and I'm told, cuts down on the
pinch flats the thick one's sometimes cause.

Baker