BVC-CHAT BVC Meeting Notes

Chris Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Tue Aug 9 13:32:50 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:46:25AM -0400, Jean Marie Linhart wrote:
> 2) Ride WITH traffic, a bike is a VEHICLE, although a slow moving one

There is no more idiotic thing a cyclist can do to get herself/himself
killed than ride against traffic.  The real danger isn't from on-coming
traffic, of course, but from cars entering traffic from a sidestreet --
drivers are simply not attuned to small vehicles approaching from their
right in the near lane.  I *saw* exactly this happen on campus.  A young
woman in an Explorer didn't see a moron on a bike blithely riding
against traffic (no helmet, of course) and pulled out from a stop sign
and hit him.  The idiot wasn't hurt, fortunately for him, but he leapt
up angrily from the ground and approached the driver menacingly and
started shouting at *her*!  I stopped and yelled out my window that it
was his own damn fault, which elicited the response you'd expect and
effectively diverted his attention from the driver and enabled her to
maneuver around the bike and drive away.

Moron.

-chris